[openstack-dev] The future of Incubation and Core - a motion

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Nov 20 12:24:34 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-11-19 at 09:03 -0600, Anne Gentle wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2012-11-18 at 00:20 -0600, Anne Gentle wrote:
> >> All this said, I think paragraph three is the only area where a
> >> revised motion helps me come to consensus. I want a welcoming,
> >> worthwhile incubation process, that's important to me. What's also
> >> important is that we are ready to define the responsibilities to exit
> >> incubation. This sentence just isn't enough... "demonstrate" and
> >> "suitability" and "inclusion" and "coordinated" aren't enough...
> >>
> >> "We see Incubation as a trial period where promising projects have the
> >>   opportunity to demonstrate their suitability for inclusion in our
> >>   coordinated releases."
> >
> > Care to propose a stronger wording? I suspect there's general consensus
> > that Incubation should be no cakewalk and that the bar should actually
> > be quite high for projects to exit Incubation.
>
> Sure:
>
> "We see Incubation as a trial period where projects interested in
> joining the OpenStack community have the opportunity to demonstrate
> their willingness to meet OpenStack standards for coordinated releases
> and project management. The Incubation period is time-based and
> intends to provide a extended evaluation effort while providing the
> project shared resources both for consumption and contribution. While
> evaluation criteria for incubation exit are still needed, the ideal
> incubation process affords time for both the project itself and the
> community. Ideally projects exiting incubation give a proven,
> measurable ability to enable OpenStack infrastructure and services, to
> increase adoption for OpenStack and possibly across multiple OpenStack
> clouds, and prove it has potential for wide usefulness."
>
> A couple of reasons for the extended wording:
>
> -acknowledges the need to define the process further
> -enables several more definitions of exit/promotion/next life

That sounds good to me and is how I understand the current incubation
process.

I don't think the discussion with the board is so much about
significantly changing the requirements for a project to exit
incubation, but more what about what types of projects we should accept
into incubation and what happens a project once with it exits.

Cheers,
Mark.