[openstack-dev] [Openstack] Test day(s)

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Nov 19 14:35:30 UTC 2012

Gary Kotton wrote:
> In the past we have had specific days set aside for bug triage. How
> about we make a concerted effort to have a test day for the following:
>     - stable releases (if I understand correctly the up and coming one
> is on the 22nd too)
>     - release cycles (up and coming is the 22nd)
> This will hopefully help up provide a more stable, robust and reliable
> solution. In addition to this it will also enable us to identify and
> isolate problems prior to them being found in the "real world".
> Any ideas or comments?

I think we are in two different scenarios with stable releases and
milestone deliveries.

Stable releases are directly used by our users once they are out, so if
we want to specifically test them, it makes sense to do that before they
are released. There usually is a call for testing in the days before the
stable release update is issued, we could reuse that.

Milestones from the current development cycle, on the other hand, are
specifically there to tag a specific point in development to help
testing and comparing results ("bug not present in folsom-2", "feature
added in folsom-3"...). So we could imagine that a testing day is done
right *after* the milestone is cut to give a common (and static) testing
base for everyone participating.

Thoughts?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)