[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] The periodic task on openstack

Jiang, Yunhong yunhong.jiang at intel.com
Sat Nov 17 02:37:07 UTC 2012

Eoghan, thanks for your quick patch.

> > But I'm not sure that we can always address (b) or (c) even with a
> > special thread for high-priority/time-sensitive tasks.
>
> We can't do anything about (b), except starting the task again while the
> previous one is not finished. Is that desirable?
> - Yes if your task is taking much time because of blocked I/O (i.e. long
>   round-trip);
> - No if your task is taking much time because of system load.

For nova's periodic task implementation, it's a bit different to. In nova, all periodic_task are organized as a list and are executed in one timer (nova/service.py) through one Looping call
So in nova, (b) is "summary (all periodic task execute time) < periodic_interval", and which will be easier to fulfill, after all,  if this happen, it means the periodic_interval should be adjusted .

--jyh