[openstack-dev] [nova][ceilometer] model for ceilo/nova interaction going forward

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at RACKSPACE.COM
Fri Nov 16 16:54:02 UTC 2012

From: Eoghan Glynn [eglynn at redhat.com]
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2012 12:31 PM
>> I would *never* assume anything in user space. I think monitoring of
>> the users instances is out of scope for all things OpenStack. The
>> users might deploy whatever tools they like for checking i/o, disk,
>> network, etc.
>
>That's an interesting point of view, that I hadn't considered before.
>
>I would see AWS CloudWatch as a user-oriented monitoring service,
>and would have assumed that there is scope for something similar
>to be part of openstack.
>
>When you say its out of scope, do you mean that it shouldn't be
>something addressed by the IaaS fabric, and should instead be
>something that users bolt on top by running agents *within* their
>instances?
>
>(as opposed to some piece of the openstack infrastructure doing
> this monitoring from *outside* the instance)
>
>I recall the Heat team ran into some complications on this whole
>within-versus-without question, as the openstack RBAC mechanisms
>aren't yet flexible enough to easily grant in-instance agents
>credentials giving limited roles such as the ability to report
>metrics to a CW-like metricstore.

Well, now we're getting to the crux of the matter and one that I brought up in the IRC meeting yesterday. My concern is that ceilometer is becoming a kitchen sink for this stuff. Two summits ago the mandate was clear "There is no billing, we need billing, so let's build this ..." (I remember because I suggested to look at Yagi/StackTach/Tach back then). This was also the impetus for the "integration" proposal as I saw the scope widening. To have ceilometer become a set of low-level tools that can be used to get data out and away from core OpenStack services and a basis for other tools to build upon (Heat, CloudWatch/Synaps, StackTach, etc). Tools of this sort are vitally important to a successful OpenStack deployment, but it should be mix-and-match or "your mileage may vary".

I think ceilometer should be a smaller, more tightly focused collection of utilities, vs. trying to be all things to all people.

If a project like Heat runs into problems with something like the RBAC mechanism or the polling interval from Compute, that would be the Ceilometer teams job to broker a solution with Core and expose that solution to everyone.

The Rackspace Linux/Windows agents for Xen are open sourced:
https://github.com/rackspace/openstack-guest-agents-windows-xenserver
https://github.com/rackspace/openstack-guest-agents-unix

That might be a starting point for an agent-level api that can feed into that eco-system? But again, I think it's a separate problem ... perhaps even a separate project?

>> For the Deployer of openstack, yes they will want to check if the
>> Services are running hot, falling behind queued i/o or the public
>> openstack api load balancer is spitting out 503's. My
>> differentiation of instrumentation and monitoring in these cases are
>> related to the sample rate and size of the payload. 503's, i/o, etc
>> I would view as instrumentation. Sampled frequently and with little
>> payload. This is the classic statsd/graphite data. Shown in a big
>> graph on the wall of the Network Operations Center. Monitoring would
>> be larger, slower, chunkier data for Capacity Planning, etc.
>> Lifecycle state falls into the Monitoring camp as well. "Are things
>> progressing as expected? Or will they be a problem down the road."
>
>OK, so this cloud-operator-oriented view is also crucial, but I'd
>be leery about making this the entire focus of our efforts (i.e. by
>assuming that users will sort themselves out with their own monitoring
>solution).

Yeah, it's a tricky line to cross ... stepping into user-space. There are a raft of 3rd party companies I'm sure would want to have a say in how this happens. So many OpenStack startups are centered around this very problem.