[openstack-dev] The future of Incubation and Core

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Nov 16 09:57:23 UTC 2012

John Dickinson wrote:
> Here's an alternative OpenStack Core project definition:
>
> OpenStack Core projects:
>  1) provide the API and implementation for compute, storage, or network infrastructure-as-a-service
>  2) may be deployed independently
>  3) cooperate to provide a unified OpenStack release
>  4) must be scalable from small private clouds to large public service providers

So, this is a definition of "core", but it doesn't really address how
incubation would work in this case, and how we would transition to that
model, which is part of the "direction" we have to define. In particular:

- How much say should the TC have over "core" projects approval in your
view ?
- Would "incubation" be reserved to your "core" projects ?
- What would we do with TC-supported incubated core projects that are
finally refused by the BoD after months of incubation ?
- What category would we demote current non-IaaS core projects (Horizon,
Keystone) and incubated projects (Ceilometer, Heat) to ?
- Would that category still be granted additional common
Summit/QA/Doc/RelMgt/CI resources compared to random ecosystem projects ?

Could you expand your proposal to address those questions, so that this
can be considered a complete alternate "direction" that we can choose
from in the next meeting ?

Regards,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)