[openstack-dev] [nova][ceilometer] model for ceilo/nova interaction going forward

Jiang, Yunhong yunhong.jiang at intel.com
Thu Nov 15 09:35:24 UTC 2012

> > a) nova, cinder or other project publish the raw data through
> > ceilometer's rpc call (in fact, through configuration, it can be any
> > rpc call provided by metering components). Of course, the raw data
> > format should be well defined and documented.
>
> So I was hoping to avoid the message bus *needing* to be involved
> here.
>
> Say for example a particular measurement was to be pushed to the
> CW metric store, but wasn't of interest for metering. In that case
> I'd like to kick it straight over to the CW PutMetricData API,
> instead of putting through one hop of the message bus first.

I think that fit into the multi-publisher blueprint. That data will go-through the compute agent, and the multi-publisher implementation in compute agent can decide next step, possibly no message bus. (I assume the message bus is the ceilometer message bus, right?)

> > b) ceilometer do the translation from raw data to metering
> > information.
>
> Yep, makes sense.
>
> > c) Ceilometer use nova API to configure nova's publish attribute,
> > like what resources should be published, the frequency of the
> > publish etc.
>
> Yeah, so that's the kind of leakage I was a bit worried about (it's
> likely to be a bit more complicated than just registering a single
> frequency, as different meter/publisher pairs will have varying
> periods that make sense).

Still, I think this different periods will be handled by computer agent through multiple publisher.

--jyh