[openstack-dev] making the dev toolchain easier to bring together

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Nov 14 23:32:15 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 5:20 AM, Dean Troyer <dtroyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Robert Collins
> <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
>>  - pull the devstack code for interpreting operating system package
>> dependencies out of devstack into an oslo tool
>
> Have you read that yet? ;)

No, is it scary ? Or super simple?

>> This would also (if desired) allow shrinking this aspect out of devstack.
>>
>> If this sounds good, I'll look closer at the devstack code to see if
>> its sensible to factor it out, or do something similar but parallel.
>
> DevStack is blindly simplistic in handling package dependencies.
> There is a file for (potentially) each service listing the Ubuntu
> package requirements and if the service is enabled that list is
> appended.  That is it.  The files are managed manually.  And there is
> another set of files for Fedora (rpms).

Yup, found that.

> Note that we used to handle pips the same way, but that was finally
> unified with the package's tools/{pip|test}-requires so there is some
> precedence for taking that approach.

Right - I'm suggesting something analagous - whether tightly connected
to tools/pip|test is a separate discussion IMO.

> There have been a couple of attempts to expand this into a regular
> package/dependency management but they always seem to get tangled
> dealing with too many distros and their individual packaging
> decisions.
>
> Take a look at Joshua Harlow's Anvil.  This was one of his motivations
> to try something different than DevStack's approach, and do it in
> Python.  He may have something that is complete enough to do what you
> are planning.

I thought anvil was more production focused, which is fine, so hadn't
looked. I will do so - thanks.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>