[openstack-dev] [Nova] no-db-compute, a new service

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Mon Nov 12 22:26:54 UTC 2012

On 11/12/2012 04:33 PM, Dan Smith wrote:
>> And fwiw I think the plan of starting small with db writes and building
>> up us the right one. But I wonder about the requirement of a new
>> service. For cleanliness I like separating into a new service but for
>> ease of deployment it seems far easier to make this a part of
>> nova-scheduler.
>
> So, that seems nice from a simplicity point of view, and maybe we do
> that for the interim. However, I expect that the number of
> nova-conductor instances you want to run is not always likely to match
> the number of scheduler instances you want to run, right?

That's a good point.

I remember folks saying in the past that they only run a single
nova-scheduler to avoid scheduling race conditions.  Has all of that
been solved now?

As long as # of schedulers can be > 1, I don't think it matters.  If you
need to run more nova-conductor instances than nova-scheduler, then you
happen to get that many schedulers too, which shouldn't hurt.

--
Russell Bryant