[openstack-dev] Specifying Tenant-ID in Openstack REST API URLs and Quatum 2.0 APIs

Steve Baker sbaker at redhat.com
Sun Nov 11 22:50:28 UTC 2012

On 11/12/2012 11:33 AM, Mellquist, Peter wrote:

> ·How are you proposing to allow cross tenant access? For example, the
> case where one tenant has an admin role to access another tenant's
> resources.  With existing OS APIs which organize resources by tenant,
> {tenantId}/resources/... , the admin's tenant & role are part of the
> Keystone headers so it is straightforward for the service to control
> this. Quantum 2.0 has proposed an query param '? tenant_id=X' to
> handle this.

Heat's orchestration model is for a user to orchestrate their own
resources isolated within their own tenant. This is a design choice
rather than a technical limitation. For this reason I don't think there
is a need at this point for cross-tenant API features.

> ·Do you need to handle a use case where you would move stacks from one
> tenant to another? How would this be done with no tenant_id in the
> resource?

Indeed. I'm actually advocating that we always have the tenant_id in the
URL.

cheers