[openstack-dev] Quantum L3 router, mixin or plugin?

Alan Kavanagh alan.kavanagh at ericsson.com
Fri Nov 9 22:32:33 UTC 2012

Hi Sasha/Bob

I believe we are on the right track now to put in place a future proof Quantum Architecture Framework which will allow us to add "Virtual Networking Services" such as LB, VPN, FW and Routing etc. My main concern as I said to Salvatore during the Summit last month was it is not a good idea to build everything to be tied to the Router, I think the idea was right to build a Quantum Service Framework, that makes perfect sense but perhaps not around a Router. It makes more sense to ensure Quantum can easily add plugins to support additional networking services as I mentioned such as VPN/FX etc and Router should be considered as one of those Advanced Networking Services.

I am however not sure about having the Core plugin contain L3 functionality, that depends what on L-3 we want to achieve, if it is just addressing and subnets sure, but if its more than that I would like to know what and why?

Alan