[openstack-dev] Policy on "3rd party" APIs and Nova

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Nov 9 14:06:09 UTC 2012

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> What we're proposing is:
>
>   The previous aspirational statement that the PPB made in May 2012
>   about 3rd party APIs being implemented external to core stands.
>   However, where a given project does yet have expose a "stable,
>   complete, performant interface" for 3rd party APIs to build on, that
>   project may choose to accept proposed new APIs in the interim if it
>   sees fit.

I find that acceptable... Do not prevent projects from accepting
3rd-party APIs if they want to, while restating that stable interface is
the right end game.

Note that it means you (core devs) won't be able to retreat behind a TC
motion to refuse unwanted 3rd-party APIs anymore. You will have to say
NO. I think that's needed anyway (the guts to say NO to unwanted,
unmaintained or undocumented features) if we want to stay successful.

Regards,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Chair, OpenStack Technical Committee