[openstack-dev] Mailing-lists are about topics, not audience (was: The future of Incubation and Core)

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Nov 8 17:08:30 UTC 2012

Anne Gentle wrote:
> Also did we intend to start this on openstack-dev and then go to the
> wider OpenStack list for discussion? I don't think this discussion
> just concerns devs.

I think there is a misunderstanding, which might explain why we got so
much cross-posting lately.

Mailing-lists are defined by the topic they cover, not by their
subscribers. Basically, openstack-dev is not "the list of developers",
it's "the list where forward-looking topics (future openstack
development) is discussed". In the same vein, the openstack list is not
"the list of users", it's the list where usage and the current state of
openstack (technical issues affecting stable releases) are discussed.

Users concerned by the future development of openstack should subscribe
to openstack-dev. Developers concerned about the stable release and its
users should subscribe to the openstack list.

The topic you mention is definitely forward-looking, so it should be
posted on openstack-dev. Cross-posting disrupts threads: it is
unwarranted and is just a lazy way to increase audience for a thread. In
corner cases, you can point the subscribers of one list to the existence
of a thread on the other.

Cheers,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)