[openstack-dev] Python API docs

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Thu Nov 8 13:27:55 UTC 2012

On 7 November 2012 00:06, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Indeed. Not that curl is bad or anything, but the examples, with their
> use of the X-Auth-Token stuff and multiple calls to first Keystone and
> then the Nova API endpoint, are confusing if you just want to either:
>
> a) Understand the HTTP API calls and parameters
> b) Want to use the Python bindings

I'd like to point out that, on consideration, I'm not clear that this
is a documentation problem.  There's an open question of whether there
is something *to* document.

Firstly which Python bindings are we talking about?  Are the Python
calls in clients supposed to be an API?  There's not broad consensus
on this - for instance, the Quantum team consider their bindings not
to be a public API at the moment (since it's not been published as
one), which means that they can tidy it up (i.e. change it completely)
and present it as a nice API in the next release.  As for Glance,
Nova, and all the rest, I have no idea.

Is there actually consensus on this?

--
Ian.