[openstack-dev] The future of Incubation and Core

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Nov 8 12:53:48 UTC 2012

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> I think too much of this discussion has been about the fairly arbitrary
> names we have for different classes of projects. The term "Core" isn't
> actually all that useful to us in the discussion, or more generally,
> because everyone has their own idea of what the term means.
>
> There are two important things being discussed here - our vision for the
> coordinated OpenStack releases and the rules around the use of the
> OpenStack trademark.

Agreed, that's what I was hinting at in my (admittedly convoluted)
summary. We need to define the set of projects we want to release in a
coordinated fashion. What name(s) we put on them is more of a trademark
question.

For example, I suspect everyone agrees Keystone needs to be part of the
coordinated release, whereas if "core" ends up designating pure IaaS
services, Keystone would not be part of it.

In that sense, the "core+supported" and an inclusive "product core"
options end up covering the same set of projects, as far as coordinated
release goes.

Incubation would be the process to become part of the coordinated
release, whatever label the project ends up carrying. And the labels
should be defined by the trademark rules ("You need to run all label1
projects to be called an openstack cloud").

We just need to find a name to represent the whole group of "projects
that are part of the coordinated release", just in case "Core" ends up
designating a different thing.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack