[openstack-dev] The future of Incubation and Core

Gabriel Hurley Gabriel.Hurley at nebula.com
Thu Nov 8 01:10:50 UTC 2012

Let me throw out a different possible definition of Core:

    OpenStack Core is a set of recommended components which work together to comprise a "batteries-included" OpenStack Cloud.

That definition does not imply that any component in Core is irreplaceable or that they all must be deployed, and it leaves room for the technical judgment of the TC and the Board to determine what projects benefit the entire community and project by being "recommended" at the expense of hindering ecosystem competition.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm not in favor of an IaaS-only Core... I don't want to see the voices of arguably *critical* non-IaaS projects (Horizon, Ceilometer, Heat, and even Keystone) be sidelined.

Speaking of Keystone, it's not infrastructure either. It doesn't compute, store or move data (not in the way John meant), but your stack is gonna suffer without it. It's *recommended*. You can run OpenStack with only Nova and Glance if you want to. Quantum, Swift and Cinder may be infrastructure but they're nice-to-haves. Swift isn't even enabled by default in DevStack. Defining what is *necessary* infrastructure (e.g. Core) is a complicated issue. The bar can't just be "IaaS".

    - Gabriel