[openstack-dev] [Quantum/Nova] Improving VIF plugin

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Wed Nov 7 20:59:12 UTC 2012

Mostly I think we're talking about the same thing, but there's a
couple of points here:

On 7 November 2012 20:01, Vishvananda Ishaya <vishvananda at gmail.com> wrote:
> Basically it requires us to define
>
> a) a specific format for 'connector_data', that is information about the
> connecting hypervisor/machine that we should send in and
> b) a specific format for 'connection_info', information returned by quantum
> to the connecting machine so it can make the connection.

I think the connection type will 'negotiate' the return type.  If you
describe a bridge endpoint, you get a bridge connection_info.  PCI,
you get a PCI ID.  But if I'm asking for a VSwitch endpoint I will get
something entirely other.

As an aside, this interface provides room for expansion away from
hypervisor endpoints.  Consider the following connector_data:

{ type: 'switch-port', switch: 'quantum-configured-switch-name', port: 16 }
{ type: 'vpn-endpoint', vpn_type: 'l2vpn', endpoint_network: <uuid>,
endpoint_ip: ..., endpoint_key: ... }

I'm sure we could find a use for these...

--
Ian.