[openstack-dev] Less of coding standard for i18n of LOG messages

Sean Dague sdague at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Nov 7 16:57:29 UTC 2012

On 11/07/2012 11:33 AM, Kevin L. Mitchell wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-11-07 at 23:43 +0800, Ying Chun Guo wrote:
>> First of all, there is an agreement within community that user-facing
>> string should be translated. As to LOG messages, there are arguments
>> but no consensus yet. One argument says the LOG messages are useful
>> for operators/administrators especially in the case of abnormal
>> behavior and is certainly accessible to users and therefore just like
>> all user-facing text, thus LOG messages should be translated. The
>> opposing argument could say that LOG is primarily useful for
>> developers, developers can read English LOG, and LOG in different
>> languages will block the communication between developers and users,
>> thus LOG should not be translated.
 >
> It's also worth pointing out that another argument for log messages
> remaining in English is that it will be easier to search the web for
> those log messages, whereas if they're translated, discussion about them
> may end up being fractured.

I think that assumes that everyone uses the same search engines and user
forums for their content. I think if you look at China in particular
this isn't going to be the case.
http://chineseseoshifu.com/china-search-engine-market-share/

I think the discussions are fractured already, which isn't a bad thing.
There are user groups cropping up all over the place -
http://wiki.openstack.org/OpenStackUserGroups and I full well expect
they'll be having discussions (support and otherwise) in their native
language, and will probably be the first and best lines of support for
folks in each locality.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague