[openstack-dev] Asynchronous logging

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Mon Nov 5 18:50:01 UTC 2012

On 11/05/2012 01:24 PM, Eric Windisch wrote:
> I'd like to introduce an option to use asynchronous logging to the
> common logging module (openstack.common.log). It would default to
> disabled.  Mark McLoughlin recommended that I bring this to the mailing
> list for discussion and feedback.
>
> Currently, whenever a log message is sent, the calling greenthread
> blocks. Where eventlet isn't used at all, the thread blocks. Using
> eventlet, the other greenthreads get processed while this blocks, but
> the calling greenthread is blocked all the same.

I'm curious what led you to making this change in the first place.  Did
you observe a problem or was it more theoretical?

There is a cost to take on added complexity.  I just want to make sure
we're solving a real problem and not looking at a micro-optimization
compared to the cost of the operations generally being performed by
OpenStack services.

--
Russell Bryant