[openstack-dev] Changing period audit to real-time audit

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Mon Nov 5 15:34:17 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've been working to change the actual audit code used into Cinder (but
also in Nova) to a real-time one, so it's more useful to projects like
Ceilometer.

The implementation for Cinder is under review at:

    https://review.openstack.org/#/c/15115/

Once this patch got accepted, I intend to port it to Nova in the same
fashion.

Now, Huang Zhiteng raises an issue that might also interest Nova team,
so I'm bringing this to this list.

My patch plugs the audit in a periodic task under the cinder-volume
daemon, since this is the one making more sense for cinder. For Nova,
that would probably be nova-compute.
The concern is that sending exists notifications might take too long and
blocks the daemon for too much time.

From my point of view, since each host is only sending notifications
about volumes (in Nova that would be instances) it handles, this is not
going to be a lot of them, and that shouldn't take the daemon too long
nor block it for a while. Compared to the burden of shipping another
daemon.

Also, while I'm at it, suggestions about a default auditing rate might
be welcome, since the default periodic_interval (60s) might be a little
too low. Maybe using ticks_between_runs would be a good idea?

--
Julien Danjou
# Free Software hacker & freelance