[openstack-dev] Some idea on device assignment support

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 18:21:38 UTC 2012

On Nov 1, 2012, at 8:39 AM, heut2008 <heut2008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> should  we create  a new table to  manage all these  devices? or  each
> nova-compute node
> manage their own devices allocation,if there is no new table to record
> this.  we need each
> kind of passthrough  devices  has a driver to keep track of how many
> resources is free and
> how many is in use,  these info  is updated to schedule  by sending
> capability info periodly.

I would prefer to avoid adding new tables unless we have to. It seems like
the HostState class in host_manager needs to be able to support arbitrary
keys for counting resources. Then we could create filter and weighting functions
based on these arbitrary keys and update the consume method to consume resources
from these keys based on instance_type_extra_specs.

Perhaps we need some kind of compute_metadata. there is a compute stats table
which we might be able to abuse for this purpose.

Vish