[openstack-dev] [Quantum][LBaaS] Advanced Services Insertion

Eugene Nikanorov enikanorov at mirantis.com
Thu Nov 1 12:20:53 UTC 2012

Hi Salvatore,

Let me answer those to points.
*> 1) Defining how advanced service implementations (plugin or drivers) will
 serve API requests, keeping in mind that for the same kind of service
there might be multiple implementations available at the same time*
That part of "service insertion" seems to be quite clear.

*> 2) Defining the APIs and related logic for defining how advanced service
fit in the logical topology (service insertion modes) and which services
(type and nature) should be available to tenants.*
When I was talking about device management I primarily meant "informing
LBaaS about LB device: where it is located and how it is connected".
I still feel that's related to what you're talking about in (2). Our view
is based on existing LBaaS workflow and I'm trying to map it to your
proposal or understand the basic differences.

So the questions will be:
1) Why do we want to extend router resource?
Why do we need to know whether router provides certain resource or not?
Currently LBaaS can provide LB service if it has appropriate device, it
doesn't depend on any router.
Is it for adv svc quota management only?

2) Why do we need to associate adv. service with a certain router?
Did you mean we associate particular adv service appliance with a router?
E.g. say we have device LB1 associated with router1, device LB2 associated
with router2, is that what you meant?
If so, doest it makes sense to have many-to-many relationship between adv
service appliances and routers?
If that's what you meant, then it's a part of "device management",
e.g. "informing LBaaS about LB device: where it is located and how it is
connected".
In this case when tenant request LB for certain network, Quantum will
collect all available devices for the network (e.g. all devices attached to
corresponding router) and chose the device to deploy LB for the tenant.

Thanks,
Eugene.