[openstack-dev] [Quantum] Horizon usecases of subnet/port operation

Akihiro MOTOKI motoki at da.jp.nec.com
Tue Jul 24 17:13:52 UTC 2012

Hi netstackers,

I would like to ask about what operations are available on Dashboard
and confirm the status of the work.

(1) Can non-admin tenant/project create a network/subnet?

Quantum v2 API allows non-admin tenants to create a network/subnet.
When creating a subnet a tenant can assign any ip range to the subnet as it
wants, so IP address overlapping in diffrent networks may happen.
If IP address overlapping is not supported in Quantum Folsom, this may lead
to some troublesome situation in L3 handling such as L3 forwarding, NAT...

dhcp-overlapping-ips blueprint seems to have a good
progress. This means Quantum allow ip address overlapping.
In this case we do not need to take care of the issue and
non-admin tenants can create a subnet as they wants.

Otherwise, we need some guard in Horizon. (Since Horizon is a user dashboard
it should be user-friendly)
A possible solution is that "private network/subnet" is created by admin and
owned by a non-admin tenant on Dashboard. It requires no modifications to Quantum.

(2) Can admin tenant create/delete a port from dashboard?

Usually port create/delete operations are not visibile in normal
situations, e.g., a port is created automatically in a sequence of
VM launching or subnet creation (with dhcp-agent).

My question is whether port create/delete operations need to be available
on Horizon?

IMHO, port create/delete operations need not to be available in user panel
(for normal user), and they are available for admin tenant.

For more broader discussion, we post this mail to the list.
I will appreciate you comments.

Akihiro MOTOKI <motoki at da.jp.nec.com>
Cloud System Research Laboratories, NEC Corporation