[openstack-dev] Novaclient and Extensions

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Thu Dec 20 12:15:29 UTC 2012

> Thinking about this, and what it really might look like to a user. I
> want to apply some hard data around this issue.
>
> There are 32 viable core "calls" for the Compute API. [1] There are
> over 90 viable extension calls.[2] I haven't done the complete audit
> yet for missing docs for extensions, but I know that there's about a
> 3 times factor of core calls to extension calls based on the doc
> work I've done and managed.

Speaking of the proliferation of extensions, we even have a case where
one extension partially duplicates another (the absolute limits side of
os-user-limits versus os-quota-sets show).

So part of the approach to addressing this may be to set a higher bar for
accepting extensions, and promote consolidation of related concerns to
eliminate the fragmentation/duplication.

Cheers,
Eoghan