[openstack-dev] Novaclient and Extensions

Matt Dietz matt.dietz at rackspace.com
Wed Dec 19 18:58:18 UTC 2012

"We should all of us want to stand on the rooftops and shout "check it
out, our cloud is based on OpenStack, so you do not need any specific
knowledge about it from us - it will work in exactly the way you expect
a cloud based on OpenStack to work!" Because in this day and age of
fragmented online user experience, both at the B2B level and at the
direct consumer level - it's an AMAZING possibility."

Monty: The problem with this is that it's possible, and dramatically
easier, for anyone to write an extension that *doesn't* live in the
upstream code base. Put differently, just because a feature is rejected by
the community doesn't mean that vendor stops working on something they
think will sell, which means you usually need an extension to present that
feature. The problem is further exacerbated by the fact that very few
vendors are publicly running the exact same version of the code base in
terms of releases; we're running more or less trunk, others are several
releases behind, and thus the client has moved ahead of those vendors.

In other words, it's going to happen despite the best intentions of the
community, so we're better off trying to come up with a good way of
managing things (and we've had good suggestions so far) than getting
defensive when people don't conform to our idealism.

To Vish: I like this suggestion, but it's worth noting what Anne pointed
out; there are a lot of extensions, it may still be information overload,
so I do we need Monty's suggestion of promoting extensions as well.