[openstack-dev] [nova] API V3 Proposal

Brian Lamar brian.lamar at rackspace.com
Wed Dec 19 17:47:50 UTC 2012

I'm personally very keen on consistency and bug squashing so your efforts are appreciated!

1) Does 'demoted' mean "no longer a core feature of the API, but will able to be accomplished via non-core extensions"? If I wanted to keep generating admin passwords in my deployment, would OpenStack still support that at the virtualization level? This feature is quite engrained in all layers of OpenStack, not just the HTTP API.

2) If personalities are being demoted, what is being promoted to take its place? I haven't used config drive yet, but it's my understanding that it's the better/more secure replacement for personalities. Do you think this feature is used much? Is there any way we could keep personalities but use the given data to write to config drive and not use file injection? I do like the 'ease-of-use' factor personalities give.

All-in-all it looks like v3 is moving slightly towards the EC2 API (not necessarily a bad thing IMO). Maybe this is because how their API works is more secure, but I *really* like not using SSH keys everywhere. I could be the only one though!

Brian