[openstack-dev] Motion to clarify Python Support policy

Sascha Peilicke saschpe at suse.de
Wed Dec 19 15:27:18 UTC 2012

On 12/19/2012 01:27 PM, Matthias Runge wrote:
> On 12/19/2012 10:34 AM, Sascha Peilicke wrote:
>>
>> For instance, with my SUSE employee hat on, I would like to read:
>>
>>   "...run on the latest Ubuntu LTS, latest RHEL or SLES"
> Sounds fair to me.
>>
>> And with my community hat on, maybe it's even preferable to have at least:
>>
>>   "...run on the latest release of any other Linux distribution"
>>
> +1
>> While I am aware that currently, gating and testing happens mostly on
>> Ubuntu boxes and it makes a lot of sense to concentrate efforts, the
>> above statement should be as inclusive as possible. The OpenStack
>> community spans across the whole distribution ecosystem and that should
>> be honored somehow.
>>
> +1
>
> If it runs on a Enterprise distro, it should also run on a community
> version.
>
> Given there is a package/requirement not available/satisfiable for a
> major distribution, for whatever reason: how should we handle this?
>
> Will the unavailability of features/packages etc. block us from adding
> those features/packages as requirement to OpenStack? Even if we know,
> that this fact will exclude xyz-users from using OpenStack on top of
> distribution xyz?
I can only speak for openSUSE and SLES and there the answer is no extra
handling is necessary / we won't be blocked.

A given openSUSE release will only ship the OpenStack release that was
available at the time and and matching Python packages. However, we do
provide packages for newer OpenStack releases in separate RPM
repositories, but these also contain newer Python packages if necessary
(and replace those of the vanilla distro release). But I guess that's
nothing special. You can have a look here:

https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor?project=Cloud:OpenStack:Master

Of course this could be somewhat different if openSUSE would be used on
gating/testing machines too. But we'll have to get some work done before
this will eventually become a topic ;-)
--
With kind regards,
Sascha Peilicke