[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer]Ceilometer in Horizon

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Wed Dec 19 11:01:24 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 19 2012, Brooklyn Chen wrote:

> 1. Displaying data
> There are 3 kinds of data:
>
> |    Type    |                  Definition                  |
> |------------|----------------------------------------------|
> | Cumulative | Increasing over time (instance hours)        |
> |------------|----------------------------------------------|
> | Gauge      | Discrete items (floating IPs, image uploads) |
> |            | and fluctuating values (disk I/O)            |
> |------------|----------------------------------------------|
> | Delta      | Changing over time (bandwidth)               |
>
> Shall we use chart or just table to show these data?
> Table view is easy to implement but it's not intuitive.

You can use charts. The main difference between the 3 is:
- a chart with cumulative should be of for example line and will always
  increase
- a chart with gauge is more likely an area, it increases or decreases,
  whatever, you can use bars or anything (thinks about it like temperatures)
- delta are more likely discrete events, so if you draw a chart it's
  likely to be bar representing what has just been consumed at the time
  of the event (thing about it like the money you spend everyday).

--
Julien Danjou
// Free Software hacker & freelance