[openstack-dev] [nova][baremetal] Next step of Bare-Metal Provisioning

Michael DeHaan (midehaan) midehaan at cisco.com
Fri Dec 14 16:09:57 UTC 2012

Late to this discussion as I've just recently begun working on OpenStack,
but some sort of integrated bare metal support is interesting to me.  I
think there's two useful things here:

(A) bare metal compute management (i.e. Lab controller temporary checkout
style, Red Hat's Beaker, MAAS)

(B) integration of mechanisms to make it easier to expand cloud
infrastructure itself -- to be able to define profiles for the actual
compute/storage/etc nodes and quickly add and configure more of them.

You probably do (A) first and then figure out how to extend it to (B).

I'd really like to see some sort of adapter layer where you could have
plugins to various deployment systems like Cobbler, Foreman, Razor,
commercial offerings, etc.  If those interfaces existed I could see me
writing a Cobbler one.

Interested if other people are interested in (B).

--Michael