[openstack-dev] New python dependency - extras-0.0.1

Pádraig Brady P at draigBrady.com
Thu Dec 13 09:58:07 UTC 2012

On 12/12/2012 11:02 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 6:45 AM, Brian Waldon <bcwaldon at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I want to agree loudly with this - the name 'extras' is a little silly. I'm fine with the underlying code, but it needs a much more descriptive name.

>>> How about pulling try_import() into olso for the moment?
>>
>> This seems like a good compromise to forcing you (and others) to package something not everybody really agrees on.
>
> testtools, which is already a dependency, will start depending on
> extras in a release or so (giving folk time to package it). So you
> won't avoid any packaging work by copying it into oslo - but you will
> incur technical debt by copying the code.

It's just that python-extras pushed the boundaries
on naming, size and even need.

Naming is too generic great as mentioned before.
Size is tiny, so separation cost may outweigh advantages.
Need may be short term too. If tools progress
to handling this common renaming pattern, the need diminishes
.
Maybe testtools could continue as it does now,
and in future if a separate try_import() is needed,
then it can take it from the standard lib or
somewhere else more cohesive and substantive.

thanks,
Pádraig.