[openstack-dev] extracting nbd support to an oslo module?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Dec 11 11:36:02 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:22:50PM +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
> > I'd like to be able to nbd from Python for part of diskimage-builder,
> > and the needed code for that is neatly in nova; but installing nova on
> > sysadmin workstations just to get at that code is a little... ugly.
> >
> > Would there be any objections to moving the nbd code to an oslo
> > module, and if not, whats the process for that? [possibly more than
> > the nbd code - basically enough to get qcow2 images mounted :)].
>
> I'll let markmc reply on that, but oslo tends to be oriented towards
> reusing common code between openstack core projects, not to extract
> generally reusable pieces of code out of core projects for potential
> reuse elsewhere... I feel like it's a slippery slope that could make us
> lose our focus.

It also implies that you'd need to make promises about API stability
in Oslo. As long as Oslo is only intended for use by core projects,
can we make API changes in Olso & update all core projects to match.
Once you have users outside of the project, then we get locked into
supporting those APIs unchanged.

> As a sidenote, I suspect the nbd/qcow2-mounting code makes use of
> rootwrap to elevate privileges, so this would need to be done after
> migration of rootwrap to oslo as well (planned for as soon as
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/17672/ lands, hint, hint).

Yep, it does require rootwrap.

Regards,
Daniel