[openstack-dev] default keyring use to False?

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Fri Dec 7 03:36:00 UTC 2012

What are thoughts on disabling keyring use in our clients by default?

Some background:

If you have python-keyring installed and try to use the most recent versions of novaclient and keystoneclient you'll end up with a prompt like this:

  Please set a password for your new keyring
  Warning: Password input may be echoed.
  Password (again):

To work around this many of us set --no-cache or even export an environment variable OS_NO_CACHE. It seems like most people are doing this by default... so why not cut our losses here and change our keyring settings to be disabled by default.

Now that this is included in keystoneclient this also effects other clients (which make use of it for auth) as well. I hit this today with glanceclient... and it would presumably effect swiftclient as well.

To avoid the double negative perhaps changing the option to be called --os-cache (which would be defaulting to False) would make sense as well? We could call the environment variable OS_CACHE as well.

Dan