[openstack-dev] HTTP response code for not implemented features

Sean Dague sdague at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Dec 6 13:11:31 UTC 2012

On 12/06/2012 06:58 AM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>    - The 501 docs say:
>
>         The server does not support the functionality required to
>         fulfill the request. This is the appropriate response when the
>         server does not recognize the request method and is not capable
>         of supporting it for any resource.
>
>      The first sentence makes it seem like 501 is a good fit here. I
>      take the second sentence to be an example of one of cases where 501
>      is appropriate, rather than the only case.
>

> I think I'm still leaning towards 501. Any thoughts?

The issue is, HTTP lives in a context, so you can't really just use the
first sentence. From my understanding 501 is actually the general form
of 405.

405 - verb not allowed on this resource
501 - verb not allowed anywhere on this server

The question being are there http clients that actually implement 501
correct, so would blacklist PUT for the rest of their life cycle if we
returned it. Probably not, people aren't ever that good at implementing
specs, but always hard to say. And that would be a really weird
unintended consequence.

Is there a way to make our payload more clear? or to add some additional
headers to get the right intent across?

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague