[openstack-dev] [Keystone] Trust Specification Updated

Alexandra Shulman-Peleg SHULMANA at il.ibm.com
Tue Dec 4 13:08:49 UTC 2012

Hi Adam, all,

While working on Object Storage, we recognized two important delegation
requirements: (1) fine-grained delegation (e.g. at the object level); (2)
direct user-to-user or application-to-application delegation (without
involving any cloud management entity). To achieve these , I would like to
propose the following two enhancements to the delegation specification.

First, I suggest to broaden the specification of the delegation subject.
It seems that the current proposal focuses on the delegation of roles,
while for some services we might be interested in delegation of access to
resources. For example, in Swift we might be interested to delegate an
access to a single object. With the role delegation model, you might
violate the principle of least privilege by giving more access rights than
required. Thus, I think it will be good to have a generic field of
"resource descriptor" in the token. Depending on the service that uses
this mechanism, this field may refer to an object, container, vm or any
other resource that can be of interest as a delegation subject.

Second, I suggest to broaden the delegation mechanism. I think that it
will be good to have a user-to-user or application-to-application
delegation which can be done by users independently of Keystone. However,
Keystone should be able to verify the integrity of the entire chain.

You can see additional details of the delegation chaining mechanism, as
well as the requirements and the token fields in the following paper:
http://www.scpe.org/site/index.php/scpe/article/view/727/325- see the full
reference below.

I will be glad to jointly work on adding these two enhancements.

Thank you very much,
Alex.

Paper reference:
Secure Access Mechanism for Cloud Storage
D Harnik, E K Kolodner, S Ronen, J Satran, A Shulman-Peleg, S Tal
Scalable Computing: Practice and Experience 12(3), 2011

Alexandra Shulman-Peleg, PhD
Storage Research, Cloud Platforms Dept.
IBM Haifa Research Lab
Tel: +972-3-7689530 | Fax: +972-3-7689545