[openstack-dev] [Glance] Implementing Common Image Properties

Gabe Westmaas gabe.westmaas at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Aug 30 21:12:58 UTC 2012

From:  Blake Yeager <blake.yeager at gmail.com>
Date:  Thu, 30 Aug 2012 15:53:34 -0500
To:  OpenStack List <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
Subject:  Re: [openstack-dev] [Glance] Implementing Common Image Properties

Another dimension to this problem is the need to filter the image lists
returned from glance based on these attributes.
I am not fully up to speed on the latest Glance API, but does it include a
way to filter on base properties?  What about the ability to filter on
arbitrary key-value pairs (metadata)?

If we can provide the ability to filter on both of those then I don't
think it matters as much what we specify as a base property and what we
ask people to implement as a key-value pair.  If on the other hand we are
only going to provide a way to filter the image lists using base
properties then I would argue that we have to be much more inclusive about
what we make base properties.

If there isn't anything in Glance around this right now I know this is
something that HP is willing to commit resources to.

-Blake

Definitely agree we need to add filtering ability.  However, even if we
can filter on key-value pairs, I think its still important to be inclusive
within reason, as I don't want users to have to know which cloud they are
talking to, and thus change their client code to filter appropriately.

I think this doesn't exist and I'm sure that HP resources would be
welcomed.

Gabe