[openstack-dev] [CI] Changes to Jenkins feedback in Gerrit

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Fri Aug 24 18:30:25 UTC 2012

Hi,

We're rolling out a change designed to speed up Jenkins and improve the
experience of examining failed builds, as well as a new feature.

Build logs are now on a static server
=====================================

When Jenkins finishes a job, it copies the console log and any build
artifacts we specify to a static web server.  Those data are basically
static, and it turns out programs like apache are way better at serving
out static data than Jenkins.  This also means you no longer need to
authenticate to Jenkins just to see how a job failed.  We plan on
keeping the build logs there indefinitely, or at least a really long
time (though we may still tweak URLs a bit).

You'll see a link in Gerrit that goes to a bare directory, like this:

  http://logs.openstack.org/11758/1/gate/gate-keystone-python27/822/

You can click on "console.html" to see the Jenkins console log.  Clark
Boylan has been working on getting nice HTML output from nosetests, so
where his patch to add the nosehtmloutput plugin as a test dependency
has merged, you'll see a "nose_results.html" file:

  http://logs.openstack.org/11758/1/gate/gate-keystone-python27/822/nose_results.html

Devstack gate jobs will have a "logs/" directory with all of the
devstack log files that get copied back.

If you're curious, the format of the URL is:

  change_number/patchset_number/pipeline/job/build_number

So you can find all of the builds for change 11758, patchset 1 under:

  http://logs.openstack.org/11758/1/

Non-voting tests
================

Yun Mao is working on a pylint job for Nova, and wanted it to report
back to Gerrit but not actually gate changes.  So we've added a
"non-voting" job option to Zuul.  You'll see reports from these jobs in
Gerrit in the usual place, but their success or failure won't affect the
Verified vote from Jenkins.  These jobs will be tagged with the string
"(non-voting)" after them.  I don't have a live example of this yet, but
it should look something like this:

 *  http://logs.openstack.org/... : FAILURE (non-voting)

We may add some additional informative but non-gating jobs to this
system too, such as coverage output.

-Jim