[openstack-dev] [Openstack-dev] Copyright headers in source files

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Thu Aug 16 17:37:12 UTC 2012

On 08/16/2012 01:12 PM, John Griffith wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>
> A while back there was some discussion taking place in the PPB
> meetings regarding copyright headers.  There was some concern as I
> recall from lawyers regarding the addition of assigning Copyright to
> Openstack LLC etc. (don't ask me, I'm not a lawyer).
>
> I was wondering if there was ever a solid decision on how we wanted to
> proceed with header files?  Are we just including the Apache header,
> both or some other form?  Did I misinterpret the topic that was being
> discussed?

First of all, IANAL.  :-)

I think many cases of people leaving the following at the top of a new
file is due to just copying it from another file:

    # Copyright (c) 2011 OpenStack, LLC.

IMO, whenever someone creates a new file, or makes substantial /
non-trivial changes or additions to a file, your name (or the name of
your employer, if they own the copyright to your work) should be placed
at or added to the top of the file.  I usually forget when I'm changing
existing files, but am going to try to be better about remembering.

--
Russell Bryant