[openstack-dev] [Quantum] About XML support in Quantum v2 API

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Thu Aug 16 16:29:26 UTC 2012

At the last Quantum Meeting on IRC [1], it was decided to finalize a
decision on XML support for Quantum during this week.
There is already a patch from Andrews Medina [2] that addresses XML support
(probably not yet thoroughly).

I would like to use this email thread to continue the discussion, and
possibly finalize a decision before the end of this week, so that we can
ask for a FFE if needed.
You can read the meeting logs and previous email threads concerning XML
support in Openstack projects.

As you might already know, this is the first version of Quantum with a
truly publicly accessible API.
The Quantum v2 API that we are releasing for Folsom [3], comes from a merge
between the v1 Quantum API and the Melange API. The API currently support
json only.
Here's something we might want to consider before deciding on XML support
- There should be no "preferred" format. If we decide to support XML as
well, it must receive the same attention as JSON, in terms of i)
development, ii) testing, and iii) documentation. For instance, JSON-only
capabilities will be totally unacceptable; a documentation with JSON-only
examples would look bad too.
- Once the API is released backward compatibility must be ensured for every
format supported.
- Adding support for more format during the v2 lifecycle should be
acceptable; Dropping support for a specific format during the v2 API
lifecycle would be very very bad.

Best Regards,
Salvatore

[1]