[openstack-dev] [nova] Call for Help -- OpenStack API XML Support

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Aug 10 13:43:26 UTC 2012

David Kranz wrote:
> I hesitate to wade into this but here are a few more things to consider.
>
> 1. As the primary instigator of the recent statement on API stability,
> obviously what is documented and/or implemented in the current API should
>     continue to work. Whether XML support should be in the core of
> future versions is a different story (see below).

Agreed. As much as I hate XML, we can't just "remove it" from the
existing API. Future major versions of the API could drop it, but the
current one must continue support it.

> 2. I don't know why George insists that "developer laziness" or
> "boredom" is responsible for the current situation. If these developers'
> employers said XML
>    was important they would give it more priority. We can only conclude
> that there are not many employers saying that to their employees.

That's the crux of the issue. If XML support was "what customers want"
then we'd find more of the companies invested in OpenStack pushing
resources towards a better support for it. It's not just about
"developers loving JSON".

> Is there any
>   company invested in OpenStack putting resources on this?

To my knowledge, the last fixes to XML support were pushed by a
Rackspace team during the Essex timeframe.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack