[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] weekly meeting - CloudWatch functionality

Nick Barcet nick.barcet at canonical.com
Wed Aug 8 16:45:54 UTC 2012

Hello Angus,

Thanks a lot for considering Ceilometer for this very needed tool, but I
am afraid you are confusing what Ceilometer is and what it can and
cannot do.

As defined on the blueprint [1] and further refined on one of the Faq
answers on the same page, Ceilometer is a metering tool built for the
purpose of reporting information to rating and billing engines.  Even
though performance statistics requirements may look similar at first
sight, they really aren't and one tool cannot replace the other.

Here are a few example:

- our polling interval are 5 min or more.  Would this be acceptable for
a resource to remain unavailable that long?  Increasing this interval
would drastically increase our data volume, and since we need to keep
this data, volume does count.  There is a tool that we have to estimate
volumes [2]. I don't think your tool would need to keep as much
information for as long.

- Ceilometer gather data from the infrastructure and has no plan to help
monitor instances.  Wouldn't this be a requirement for CloudWatch?

- Ceilometer has strong requirements for traceability of information,
something that you would not care about to collect performance metrics.

- Ceilometer uses its own message queue to ensure proper/lossless
transmission of information while a stats tool could happily use UDP
which would be much more efficient transport given the lighter
requirements.

Sorry to push you back on this, but I am afraid that the requirements
you expose would not match our own set of requirements.  I do value your
objective highly however, and hope that such a tool would be made
available for OpenStack deployments, as I can see many uses cases this
would solve.

We still have a topic about Heat integration with Ceilometer, as it make
full sense to have metering information from Heat too.  Dave is welcome
to join us tomorrow and discuss further.

Best,
Nick

[1] http://wiki.openstack.org/EfficientMetering
[2] http://wiki.openstack.org/EfficientMetering#Volume_of_data