[openstack-dev] [quantum] [nova] Question on Quantum extensions being called during VM spawn

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Thu Aug 2 20:44:46 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Kyle Mestery (kmestery) <kmestery at cisco.com
> wrote:

> All:
>
> Is there any thought about enabling a mechanism to allow Quantum
> extensions to be used during the spawn of a VM by nova? I'm thinking that
> as Quantum extensions are used going forward, it would be nice to enable
> this functionality during VM spawn. If no one has thought about this, I'll
> go ahead and file a blueprint and look into this.

Hi Kyle, can you describe the use case a bit more?  In general, we try to
keep additional interactions between nova + quantum to a minimum, with the
idea that a user can pre-provision a port directly again the quantum API,
then tell nova to boot a VM using a particular port (or ports).  The one
case that I can think of where additional calls may be needed is if certain
parameters need to be passed to libivrt or some other virt driver in order
to boot the VM itself (we've seen this with some of the specialized NIC
scenarios).  The thinking here is that we could isolate such calls to being
with a specific vif-plugging driver.  Does your use case fit either of
those two models?

Dan

> Thanks!
> Kyle