[openstack-announce] [Swift] Swift 2.1.0 released

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Mon Sep 1 15:16:16 UTC 2014

I'm happy to announce that Swift 2.1.0 has been released. This release includes several useful features that I'd like to highlight.

First, Swift's data placement algorithm was slightly changed to improve adding capacity. Specifically, now when you add a new region to an existing Swift cluster, there will not be a massive migration of data. If you've been wanting to expand your Swift cluster into another region, you can now do it painlessly.

Second, we've updated some of the logging and metrics tracking. We removed some needless log spam (cleaner logs!), added the process PID to the storage node log lines, and no count user errors as errors in StatsD metrics reporting.

We've also improved the object auditing process to allow for multiple processes at once. Using the new "concurrency" config value can speed up the overall auditor cycle time.

The tempurl middleware default allowed methods has been updated to allow POST and DELETE. This means that with no additional configuration, users can create tempURLs against any supported verb.

Finally, the list_endpoints middleware now has a v2 response that supports storage policies.

Please take a look at the full changelog to see what else has changed. I'd encourage everyone to upgrade to this new version of Swift. As always, you can upgrade with no end-user downtime.

Changelog:
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/swift/tree/CHANGELOG

Tarball:
http://tarballs.openstack.org/swift/swift-2.1.0.tar.gz

Launchpad:
https://launchpad.net/swift/+milestone/2.1.0

This release is the result of 28 contributors, including 7 new contributors. The first-time contributors to Swift are:

Jing Liuqing
Steve Martinelli
Matthew Oliver
Pawel Palucki
Thiago da Silva
Nirmal Thacker
Lin Yang

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this release, both as a dev and as the sysadmins who keep Swift running every day at massive scale around the world.

My vision for Swift is that everyone uses it every day, even if they don't realize it. We're well on our way to that goal. Thank you.

--John