[legal-discuss] Seeking approval for inclusion of Scapy in global-requirements

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jul 24 14:26:16 UTC 2019

On 2019-07-22 18:39:03 +0000 (+0000), Nate Johnston  wrote:
[...]
> The best tool for this is the 'scapy' library, which is licensed
> GPL v2. This would be a testing-only usage, and would not be used
> at runtime, so per the Licensing Requirements page I am seeking
> approval from you.
[...]

I'm no lawyer, but I don't think it's a matter of permission in this
case. It's widely known that FSF considers[*] the Apache License
version 2 and the GNU General Public License version 2 as having
incompatible terms, and so software using them should not be linked
(for example, as a Python "import" of a GPL2-only library in an
Apache licensed application). The Scapy maintainers have already
been asked this exact question:
https://github.com/secdev/scapy/issues/1547

[*] https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#apache2
--