[legal-discuss] GPLv3 and Apache2 licences for Openstack repos

Sergey Sh einarum at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 15:54:35 UTC 2019

Hi, all

I wonder if I can get help here or suggestions for licenses question.
We move Ansible modules from upstream Ansible repository to Openstack
namespace. In parallel, we need to develop new modules and modules that
will replace those moved from Ansible. Moved original modules won't change.
The problem is that Ansible and its modules have GPLv3 license and
repositories of Openstack have Apache2.
There are about 150+ people committed to Ansible modules for years, so it's
hardly possible to get approval for relicensing from everyone.
How can we handle this situation without violating licenses and agreements?

As I see it's 3 options

1. Move GPL modules to SIG repo in Openstack, freeze them there, and create
a new Openstack repo with Apache2 license and develop the new modules in
it. Won't it be a problem if new modules will have the same functionality
as GPL ones?

2. Move GPL modules to SIG repo in Openstack, to develop new modules in GPL
there.
3. Move GPL modules to SIG repo in Openstack, to develop new modules in
Apache2 there.

I think because of partial incompatibility of Apache2 <-> GPLv3 licenses
option 3 is barely viable [1]
Option 2 is less preferred because it puts module aside from all Openstack
projects that have Apache2 license.
What are the potential issues of option 1?
I'd appreciate any ideas or opinions about the topic.

Thanks

[1] https://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html
*Apache 2 software can therefore be included in GPLv3 projects, because the
GPLv3 license accepts our software into GPLv3 works. However, GPLv3
software cannot be included in Apache projects. The licenses are
incompatible in one direction only, and it is a result of ASF's licensing
philosophy and the GPLv3 authors' interpretation of copyright law.*

--
Best regards
Sagi Shnaidman