[legal-discuss] Third party file inclusion in Openstack sushy project

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jul 19 01:47:21 UTC 2018

On 2018-07-18 22:30:43 +0300 (+0300), mail at clusums.eu wrote:
> They are asking if BSD-3 license would be OK?
> Because "DMTF currently has a licensing policy for software that it must be
> BSD-3 licensed".
[...]

[Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.]

https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/licensing.html
indicates BSD licensed (this generally means 3-clause BSD) content
is supported by the OpenStack Foundation's contributor license
agreements. We have plenty of official OpenStack projects carrying
3-clause BSD and similarly licensed files, usually because they came
from another project outside our ecosystem which used that license
or were similarly derived from one.

Of course, make sure in your repository you retain the original
copyright and license of those files, but ideally also clearly
indicate the situation in a prominent location (perhaps in your
README or LICENSE).
--
Jeremy Stanley