[legal-discuss] Third party file inclusion in Openstack sushy project

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Aug 13 19:24:35 UTC 2018

On 2018-08-13 21:23:53 +0300 (+0300), mail at clusums.eu wrote:
> DMTF came back and they were expecting that CC BY would be
> sufficient for including files in sushy repo. While at the moment
> we don't plan to include the files, what would be necessary to
> determine if in future CC BY would allow to include the files in
> sushy repo?
[...]

Because sushy is an official OpenStack Ironic deliverable, the
OpenStack Technical Committee considers matters like this on a
case-by-case basis with the help of the OpenStack Foundation legal
counsel as mentioned in the last sentence here:

    https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/licensing.html

Though in the case of CC-BY3 we already have some precedent for
including documentation source under this license in repositories
which are primarily ASL2, for example in the oslo.messaging
repository you can find some:

    https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/oslo.messaging/tree/doc/source/contributor/supported-messaging-drivers.rst?id=818fd68

Note that at their October 15, 2012 meeting the OpenStack Foundation
Board of Directors resolved that the Creative Commons CC-BY license
was approved for documentation and similar site content:

    https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Foundation/15Oct2012BoardMinutes#Approval_of_the_CCBY_License_for_Documentation.

As such the vast majority of our documentation repositories are
already blanket CC-BY3 (with the exception of inline software source
code examples and associated build tooling) as are bits of
documentation in software source code repositories (e.g.
oslo.messaging), so hopefully it wouldn't need a significant amount
of deliberation to treat embedded data copies in a similar fashion.
--
Jeremy Stanley