[legal-discuss] [tc][qa] possible license violation in os-faults project

Pavlo Shchelokovskyy pshchelokovskyy at mirantis.com
Tue Nov 14 10:50:31 UTC 2017

Hi all,

today I came about what I see as a possible violation of GPLv3 license in
openstack/os-faults project.

As all other openstack/* projects, openstack/os-faults and all of its code
is licensed under Apache v2 license.
But the code in os_faults/ansible/executor.py module explicitly imports
multiple modules [0] from Ansible, which in turn are licensed under GPLv3
license (example of the first imported module [1]).

IANAL, but as far as I understand Apache v2 and GPLv3 licenses are
incompatible in this regard.

I'd like to be proven wrong, but it seems this code in os-faults must be
removed, and if needed rewritten to call out to "ansible" or
"ansible-playbook" CLI scripts (and parsing their stdout) instead.

[0]
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/os-faults/tree/os_faults/ansible/executor.py#n19
[1]
https://github.com/ansible/ansible/blob/v2.4.1.0-1/lib/ansible/executor/task_queue_manager.py#L5-L8