[legal-discuss] [collectd-ceilometer-plugin][legal] Request to relicense collectd-ceilometer-plugin under MIT license.

Foley, Emma L emma.l.foley at intel.com
Thu Feb 9 17:46:59 UTC 2017

Hi all,

We have had a request from the OPNFV community to relicense the collectd-ceilometer-plugin [1] to prevent potential license conflicts.

OPNFV [2] produces a set of ISOs which will include collectd [3] and collectd-ceilometer-plugin.
Some collectd components are GPL v2 licensed, which would cause a conflict at the point of distribution, if both the GPL plugins and the collectd-ceilometer-plugin were enabled by default.

The proposed solution is to change the license of collectd-ceilometer-plugin from Apache V2 to MIT.
As far as I can see, this is appropriate and will maintain compatibility

As a consequence of this change, all contributors need to agree to the change.
I'm currently planning to propose a patch to change the license, and asking all the previous contributors to add a "signed-off-by" line to the commit message to show they consent to the change.

Are there any issues with the proposed license change?
Is the proposed method of getting consent suitable?

Best regards,
Emma

[1] http://github.com/openstack/collectd-ceilometer-plugin.git
[2] https://www.opnfv.org/
[3] https://collectd.org/
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/licensing.html

Intel Research and Development Ireland Limited
Registered in Ireland
Registered Number: 308263