[legal-discuss] Technical Committee Member Policy - possible error?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Sep 13 07:29:30 UTC 2016

Richard Fontana wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 01:31:56PM +0000, John Davidge wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I happened to be reading the Technical Committee Member Policy[1] today, and I noticed what I think could be an error.
>>
>> Paragraph 3, subsection (b)(I) states that:
>>
>> "An Individual Member is an ATC who has had a contribution approved for inclusion..."
>>
>> I believe this should read:
>>
>> "An ATC is an Individual Member who has had a contribution approved for inclusion..."
>>
>> Generally speaking, ATCs are a subset of Individual Members, so the definition given doesn't seem right. Approved contributions are not a requirement for Individual Membership.
>>
>> Can anybody confirm?
>
> I think you are right. I remember pointing this out a couple of years
> ago (I thought it had been addressed in a revision to the policy).

Yes, you are right -- especially since the paragraph is about defining
what an ATC is, and Individual Members are defined somewhere else.

FWIW the Technical Committee charter has its own definition of ATC
(which confirms your interpretation) at:

http://governance.openstack.org/reference/charter.html#voters-for-tc-seats-atc

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)