[legal-discuss] [tc][kolla] Ansible module with GPLv3

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Fri Nov 4 21:24:56 UTC 2016

On 04/11/16 13:37, Michał Jastrzębski wrote:
> Cross-post from [1]
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm looking for legal advice about having GPLv3 file in Kolla
> repository. Our use case doesn't seem to be derivative, so I think
> that should be possible to pull off - having an single gpl v3 module
> within Kolla without affecting general Kolla license, but it's highly
> unorthodox so I would like to have second opinion on that front.

Sorry, but this is a very clear-cut no.

When you signed the CLA you agree to sign over various rights to all
contributions you make; rights that you don't have the power to grant if
it is, or is a derivative work of, code that was licensed to you as
under the GPL. (The same applies to the DCO process, substituting the
ASL2 for the CLA.) So nobody can contribute a GPL file under the CLA,
and the Foundation is prevented from accepting contributions under any
other terms by Article VII of its bylaws.

The TC policy is here and echoes much the same thing:

http://governance.openstack.org/reference/licensing.html

"[Projects] must be licensed under a license supported by the
Contributor License Agreement (CLA) which allows redistribution by the
OpenStack Foundation under ASLv2 (currently only the MIT and both forms
of the BSD license meet this requirement)."

cheers,
Zane.