[legal-discuss] Licensing for specs repos

Ben Swartzlander ben at swartzlander.org
Mon May 9 17:02:35 UTC 2016

I started a thread [1] on the dev mailing list but wasn't able to get
any helpful answers...

The Manila project is creating a new repo for specs, and while looking
at what other projects have done for specs repos, I could not figure out
which license was being used. It seems that most specs repos (nova,
cinder, neutron, contain a mixture of Apache 2.0 licensed stuff and CCBY
(Creative Commons) licensed stuff.

Some of these repos contain apparently-conflicting license declarations,
with CCBY specified in the LICENSE file, but Apache 2.0 specified in the
setup.cfg file.

In all cases, individual files contain their own license declarations at
the top and all of these repos contain some clearly Apache 2.0 licensed
files (the python code in the repo) and some CCBY licensed files (the
specs themselves).

It seems unavoidable that we will have a similar situation in Manila, so
I'm trying to figure out what to do at the top level for the LICENSE
file and what license to point to in setup.cfg. Is there a way to
explain to users that the project contains a mixture of 2 licenses? Is
that acceptable or desirable?

-Ben Swartzlander
Manila PTL

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-May/094065.html